Posts Tagged ‘signs’

Utah’s Carl Fisher Monument

January 9, 2018

LINCOLN HIGHWAY NEWS IS A BLOG BY BRIAN BUTKO

R1.jpg

The Carl Fisher Monument, dedicated in 2009, was spearheaded for 10 years by Rollin Southwell. It is on SR 199, mp 12, along Fisher Pass, which was part of a plan by the LHA to shorten its route across the Great Salt Lake Desert. Rollin passed away in 2013 but had sent me notes about the project:

r2.jpg

“Carl Fisher’s donation to the State of Utah was the first of a series from automobile manufacturers to improve the roads in Utah and Nevada. Tooele County has more miles of the Lincoln Highway than any other county along the route. It will now be home to the only monument to Fisher, creator of the Lincoln Highway. There are four major parts to the monument:
* The rock was one of the rocks moved in the Devil’s Gate Narrows to make the pass suitable for autos in the construction phase of the Fisher Pass.
* The monument itself tells the story of Carl Fisher’s money, the Lincoln Highway Association, and the State of Utah.
* The beacon represents the Lighthouse that was to be built on the north side of Granite Peak as a guide for tourists across the Great Salt Desert, and was to have used gas from Prest-O-Lite, a company once owned by Fisher.
* The concrete marker recalls the building of the final section, the end of the Goodyear cutoff, and Fisher Pass as part of the Lincoln Highway.”

r3.jpg
Advertisements

ShawCraft Signs Wins for IL Lincoln Hwy Murals

February 29, 2012

LINCOLN HIGHWAY NEWS IS A BLOG BY BRIAN BUTKO

The Illinois Lincoln Highway Coalition proudly announces that partner vendor ShawCraft Sign Company and company president Jay Allen received the second place award in the 2012 International Sign Design Contest presented by Signs of the Times magazine for production of the ILHC Mural Series in the Best Murals/Banners category. The winning project features the Coalition’s series of large-scale murals designed and fabricated by ShawCraft’s lead designer Jay Allen; each mural is a striking, hand-painted work of public art, communicating the significance and history of the early Lincoln Highway.

Lincoln Hwy sign dedication today in Fort Wayne

May 21, 2009

UPDATE: The Fort Wayne Journal Gazette reports the 30 signs will be placed along the route by mid-June. Clikc the image to read more and see a photo of the unveiling.

IN_Fort Wayne signs

Lincoln Highway route markers will be dedicated this morning in Fort Wayne, Indiana, at 11:30 a.m. Mayor Henry will dedicate the new markers at the Lincoln Highway Bridge — Harrison Street at the St. Mary’s River.  The markers will allow motorists to follow the historic corridor through the city.  Call (260) 427-1127 for details.

IN_FortWayne markers

Click the map above to see it larger. Note that the exact original route can no longer be followed in parts, such as east of town near the cloverleaf.

Waymarking Lincoln Highway markers of all sorts

December 6, 2007

Waymarking is like a scavenger hunt for interesting places. Using a GPS locator, waymarking not only means marking a location using latitude and longitude coordinates, but categorizing it and adding unique information for others to learn about it. That’s why those of us who only see the results online can still follow along in the fun. There are more than 70 Lincoln Highway markers of all sorts on Waymarking.com, from murals to brick monuments in Ohio, and especially the 1928 concrete posts (originals and reproductions). Waymarkers post an image or two at each location and supply a description. Here are some nice examples, all used with permission.

This marker painted on a pole just east of Central City, Nebraska. was located by plainsdrifter358, aka Barbara and Bill.

waymark_NE

The marker below comemmorates the 1927 concrete bridge that carried the LH/Delphos-Upper Sandusky Road over the Ottawa River near Gomer, Ohio, taken by Stephen Shepherd.

OH_Waymarking bridge, Gomer

The interesting monument below, probably overlooked by LH fans, was found at 1600 Plainfield Road in Joliet by a member cldisme.

IL_Joliet Statue

According to the plaque at its base, this

life-size cold cast bronze sculpture of a 1915 Joliet road worker, seated on a hand-cut ceramic mosaic column, represents the historic Lincoln Highway and the birth of our modern day highway system. Also, included in the mosaic is an image of Abraham Lincoln medallion. The sculpture is dedicated to the men and women of the Will-Grundy Counties Building Trades Council and the construction companies of the Contractors Association of Will & Grundy Counties who make our roads possible.

On July 1, 1913, a group of automobile enthusiasts and industry officials led by Carl Fisher, created the Lincoln Highway Association (LHA), “to procure the establishment of a continuous improved highway from the Atlantic to the Pacific, open to the lawful traffic of all description without toll charges” and to be a lasting memorial to our 16 th president, Abraham Lincoln. Prior to the Lincoln Highway, the existing roads were nothing more than dirt paths, which became impossible to traverse even after the lightest rain. There were very few filling stations along the proposed route, few places to eat, and even fewer places to find lodging.

Since highway maps and signage did not exist, a uniform way of marking the highway became a necessity. A design was created that consisted of a concrete post, a blue arrow, and Lincoln’s image on a medallion. On July 8, 1928, the Boy Scouts of America installed the concrete sign posts next to 3,100 miles of roadway at all important turns and junction points from New York to San Francisco.

Check out the site for dozens more Lincoln Highway markers along (and sometimes far from) the road.

New LH signs for Goshen, IN

October 23, 2007

The Indiana chapter of the Lincoln Highway Association, with help from the Goshen, Indiana, street department, has erected 54 Lincoln Highway signs. Featuring the LH’s red, white, and blue logo, the signs were kept wrapped in black plastic until their unveiling Saturday, October 20. Festivities started south of town along US 33 at CR 40, then police escorted the group as it followed the route through Goshen.

LHA president Jan Shupert-Arick offered remarks and recounted how on June 22, 1915, US Vice-President Thomas Marshall had originally dedicated the road through town. The Goshen News also quoted LHA member Tom Riggs that he hopes a local business will support the replacement of the city’s welcome arch that once stood at N. Chicago Avenue and Beaver Lane.

Here, LHA executive director David Hay, LHA president Jan Shupert-Arick, and LHA vice-president Russell Rein stand next to the southernmost sign (photos courtesy Jerome Miller, Goshen):
Hay, Shupert-Arick, Rein at Goshen sign

LH supporters at the northern-most sign:

Crowd at northern Goshen sign